st: Replacing values within a matched study

From   "Nada Khan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Replacing values within a matched study
Date   Wed, 28 May 2008 12:16:51 +0100

Hi,

I'm having trouble putting my finger on the solution to what may be a simple problem.

I have a matched case control dataset with patients who have had breast, colon or prostate cancer with 4 matched controls each and a matching variable (groupid).  My data looks like this:

id    groupid     breast    colon    prostate  control
1        1              1            .              .             .
2        1              .            .               .             1
3        1              .             .              .             1
4        1              .             .               .            1
.
.
.
89     40             .             1              .             .
90     40            .              .               .             1
91     40            .              .              .              1
etc

What I'm trying to do is replace breast = 0 for each control, or colon= 0 for each control, so that my data would look like this:

id    groupid     breast    colon    prostate  control
1        1              1            .              .             .
2        1              0            .               .             1
3        1              0             .              .             1
4        1              0            .               .             1
.
.
.
89     40             .             1              .             .
90     40            .              0               .             1
91     40            .              0              .              1
etc

I can't seem to get the right combination of gen/replace/bys commands.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Nada