st: path for winexec?

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: path for winexec?
Date   Tue, 27 May 2008 18:33:17 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

I am wondering whether there is a way to make Stata find executables on its
own. I usually have a smcl-log running and sometimes like to turn it into a
pdf (on a Windows machine). So I have it translated to ps and then let Stata
-winexec- the ps2pdf from the Miktex distribution. After conversion, I want
the file to be displayed automatically, so the code looks like this:

-my commands-

log close
translate "mylog.smcl" "C:/Users/`c(username)'/Desktop/", replace
winexec "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

I have generalized the file to run on different machines without a
requirement for any tweaking. The only missing link is the path to the
reader exe in the last line. I am wondering why Stata is able to find the
ps2pdf exe but not the reader. Is there a way to have it do that as well? I
thought about putting it into the, but that would merely shift
the onus to the profile without solving the problem...

Any ideas?

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36