st: changing the column width of stata output

From   "Mingfeng Lin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: changing the column width of stata output
Date   Mon, 26 May 2008 11:50:40 -0400

Is there a way to change the column width in the tables of stata
output? I have been searching around but haven't found a solution to
this.  For instance, if we use a tab - gen() function on a variable
with numeric values, Stata will generate 4 variables with labels such
as this

oldvar == 1.00000
oldvar == 2.00000

This is find until I want to see the results of the regression; if the
old variable name is long enough, the regression table will just say

oldvar...000
oldvar...000

One other related issue is the width of stata result display.  For
instance, what determines the number of columns one Stata screen can
show, and is there a way to change it?

I really appreciate any suggestions you have.  Thank you!

Mingfeng