st: R: not quite double bounded CV

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: not quite double bounded CV
Date   Sat, 24 May 2008 09:51:19 +0200

Dear Coba,
I suppose you are referring to the bidding games starting-point bias in
Willingness-To-Pay (WTP) studies (please, see O'Brien B, Viramontes JL.
Willingness To Pay: A Valid and Reliable Measure of Health State
Preferences? Med Decis Making 1994; 14: 289-297).
In this article, chronic lung disease patients were randomly assigned to one
of five starting bids ($10; $25; $50; $75; $100)intended to elicit the
maximum WTP for expected health outcomes.
Authors addressed the starting-point bias issue via an Income-Controlled
Analysis of Covariance (ANCOVA), which highlighted the relationship between
Maximum WTP and Staring Bid (Table 5; p. 295).

Sorry I cannot be more helpful as far as Stata commands are concerned.

Kind Regards and enjoy your W-E,

Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Jacoba van der
Gaag
Inviato: sabato 24 maggio 2008 8.46
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: st: not quite double bounded CV

Hi,

I have a survey on willingness to pay for health insurance that takes
the following form: respondents are first asked if they are willing to
pay an Amount A, if they say yes, questioning stops, if they say no,
they are offered a lower Amount B. They say either yes or no to Amount
B and then questioning stops. So there are three possible outcomes:
Yes; No-Yes; No-No.

I would like to run an ordered logit or ordered probit model where
these outcomes make up the independent variable. To complicate things,
there are 4 possible starting values of Amount A.. Each respondent is
randomly assigned one of the values.

My question is how can I take into account that there are different
values of Amount A (and subsequently B)? Is it to do with groups? Or
do I need to write a program?

As you can no doubt guess, my experience with this is quite limited,
so any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Coba