Re: st: Beware of Stata's Syntax

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Beware of Stata's Syntax
Date   Thu, 22 May 2008 18:40:34 -0400

Thank you Austin.It follows that by default -syntax- will add an
additional option (varlist=* max=1) which renders -syntax- inoperable.
This makes it a poor choice for defaults, since most users probably
work with datasets with more than one variable. And it makes even less
sense when "varname" is in [ ].

As for the documentation , I thought when I type

StataBug x y z, option1(value1)

this would be exactly the line that is going to the parser, and after
that x y and z are put to the -varlist-.

So that if I type
StataBug ,option1(value1)

and StataBug contains
syntax [varname], option1(string)

Stata converts the string to be parsed into:
"[varlist min=0 max=1], option1(string)"

substitutes from what I have typed:
"[min=0 max=1], option1("value1")"

evaluates, must result in OK, because 0 is between 0 and 1

then fills in varlist with the variable names (if specified) or all
variable names (if not specified) and let's the program go.

Adding * to varlist and adding (max=1) should be mutually exclusive,
since together they will fail most of the time.

Best wishes,
   Sergiy