st: RE: RE: path to folder prob

Subject   st: RE: RE: path to folder prob
Date   Wed, 21 May 2008 16:03:12 +0200

-di "`c(dirsep)'"- could have alerted me to this issue. Thanks for that,
facilitates my work greatly...

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36
Room 415
72074 Tuebingen
Germany

Fon: 0049-7071-2978184

Home: http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/cms/index.php?id=1130

Publications: http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/cms/index.php?id=1131

SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=669945

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:54 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: path to folder prob

First, don't use backslashes here even if they don't appear problematic.
Use forward slashes, even under Windows, as often recommended on this
list. This is flagged in [U] too. (\ is an escape character for Stata.)
We have going to publish that one as a Tip in the SJ, even though it is
quite explicit in the manual, because so many people don't notice or
forget, and get burned, that it deserves maximum publicity.

Second, the " " are problematic here. Stata doesn't need them and won't
strip them.

cd "c:/Users/`c(username)'/Documents"

is what I would try.

Martin Weiss

I am wondering whether there is a way to have Stata -cd- to a certain
directory on two different computers which only differ in the name of
the
user profile? In other words, is there a way to have Stata -cd- to the
user`s "my files" on Windows Vista Business reliably? Among the values
thrown up by -cret li- I judge only "c(username)" to be promising.
However,
when I instruct Stata to

cd C:\Users\"`c(username)'"\Documents

or

cd C:\Users\`c(username)'\Documents

Stata complains about "invalid syntax r(198)". Is there a way to achieve
this?