st: -merge- which one would make sense?

From   "Nirina F" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: -merge- which one would make sense?
Date   Wed, 21 May 2008 08:29:02 -0400

Hello,
I have a microdataset with 5000 individuals. In the data, I have
household questionnaires and individual questionnaires together, pid,
hhid.

I did the following scenarios and now I'm lost:

1- I separated the household(hh) questionnaire from the individual(i)
questionnaires.
I split the remaining individual questionnaires into married female
and  married male renamed all variables accordingly.
Then I merged the male and female because they are husband and wife by
their household id. I had 2000 households
Afterward, I merged the hh questionnaire. I end up back to 5000 observations.

2- I kept the original dataset and just split into two datasets
married female and  married male which I merged afterward to have
husband and wives. I arrive at 2000 observations.
When I assert if household information from husband and wife is the
same, almost 90% of the observation is false.

What do you think I should do? Which one of the two should make sense?
Thank you very much from your help.
Nirina