st: maximum number of outcomes in mlogit

From   "Tiemann, Michael" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: maximum number of outcomes in mlogit
Date   Tue, 20 May 2008 17:12:02 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

I'm running into an unexpected problem (ie I have not considered this might be problematic). I want to estimate a multinomial logistic model with mlogit. But my dependent variable holds 54 categories. Now, when I try to run mlogit I am informed there are too many categories.
Consulting the help file exerts that there is a maximum of 50 categories. Well, just 4 short . . .
My data is such that ordered or stereotype logistic regression (with a maximum of 30 outcomes) does not apply.
Is there any way to get stata to accept more than 50 outcomes?

Michael Tiemann.
Michael Tiemann

Bundesinstitut für Berufsbildung (BIBB)
Arbeitsbereich 2.2 "Qualifikation, berufliche Integration und Erwerbstätigkeit"
Robert-Schuman-Platz 3
53175 Bonn

Telefon: 0228 / 107-1235