Re: st: collapse prob

From   Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
Subject   Re: st: collapse prob
Date   Tue, 20 May 2008 10:38:22 +0200

Martin Weiss wrote:

In this example, does your Stata complain about a "name conflict" as

webuse college, clear
collapse (mean) gpa (median) gpa [fw=number], by(year)

In effect, you cannot calculate two statistics for the same variable
renaming one of the results. This is mentioned in [D] collapse at the
of page 48, but rather cursorily. And correct me if I am wrong, but
there is
just no way you could have these statistics renamed in the dialog box.
must first find out that you have the problem I am describing, and
edit the command line to

webuse college, clear
collapse (mean) meangpa=gpa (median) mediangpa=gpa [fw=number], by(year)

to make this work. It took me quite some time to find that out...

In the dialog box you can type in the variable field:

Logically, I think it is obvious that two different pieces of
information must have different names.

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000  Aarhus C, Denmark