Re: -by:- is sweet [was: Re: Re: st: Creating a new variable withinformation from other observations]

From   n j cox <>
Subject   Re: -by:- is sweet [was: Re: Re: st: Creating a new variable withinformation from other observations]
Date   Mon, 19 May 2008 18:11:36 +0100

Sorry, my typo; that code should be

if is_capital[_N]

& is_capital[_N]

The extra code is just to cope with countries with no capital.
It seems you have none, so that's fine.

Davide Cantoni

Thank you very much, Nick. This is elegant indeed, and congratulations
for retrieving that piece of high poetry by Sta Ta.

I'm wondering, though, about your statement:

> A more cautious approach slaps an extra condition on the second statement
> & is_capital[_N]

why would you need this? To make sure that the -bysort countryid
(is_capital)- command works fine, and puts capital cities at the end
of the block indeed?

But if I do

bysort countryid (is_capital) : gen latitude_capital = latitude[_N] &

I obtain latitude_capital equal to 1 for all observations, instead of
the desired result (which I get if I do not add "& is_capital[_N]").

* For searches and help try: