Re: st: Creating a new variable with information from other observations

From   "Davide Cantoni" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating a new variable with information from other observations
Date   Mon, 19 May 2008 13:38:30 +0200

Thank you, Teresio. That works fine.

More generally, could I ask you statalisters again about the last
doubt I expressed in my previous email, i.e.:

:: is there a way to run a "foreach" over all (numeric) values that a
given variable takes, without having to specify exactly the values
that this variable takes? Ok, I see, in most cases this would be a job
for "by(sort)", but I cannot help thinking that there are some cases
in which bysort does not help me -- for example when I want to run
more than one command, as I would do within the braces of
"foreach...", or when the units the loop runs over (the `X' in
"foreach X", so to speak) are used in some logical condition.

In brief: is there a way to create a numlist from the unique values
that a variable takes? Or how would you proceed?

Thanks,

Davide