st: Re: Fixed effects

From   "Winky K O Ho [BRE]" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Fixed effects
Date   Mon, 19 May 2008 15:01:37 +0800

Dear Statalisters,

Good day. I am currently using a legal copy of Stata 10. I wanna estimate a reduced form equilibrium model  (with fixed effects) of real estate investments for 36 cities for 5 years. In the first column of my data file, I put Regions in the first cell, and then listed the cities one by one. Then I typed

xtset regions

The response is
varlist:  regions:  string variable not allowed

However I can do the same thing with my friend's Stata 8.

I also try to do "xtset all variables" one by one. Then I typed

xtreg y x1 x2 x3 x4 x5, fe

The response is

insufficient observations

Is there anyone who can tell me how to fix this problems? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,