st: RE: r(varlist) after command lookfor

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: r(varlist) after command lookfor
Date   Thu, 15 May 2008 21:49:01 +0100

I can't confirm this. -which lookfor- for me is

*! version 3.3.2  27jan2007

and I can't reproduce such behaviour.

My guesses:

1. You are using an old -lookfor-. (If you are using an old Stata, you
should say so.)

OR

2. What you are doing after -lookfor- is chopping the list, not
-lookfor-.

For example,

. local varlist = "`r(varlist)'"

would chop.

WEI-JANG HUANG

Does anyone know why the variable list in r(varlist) saved by command
'lookfor' gets chopped?  I don't think it's reached the limit of macro.
In my case, the varlist should contain 33 variables and each variable
name is 7-character long.  r(varlist) contains the first 30 variable
names and lists part of the 31st variable.