st: RE: editor does not allow the use of command line

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: editor does not allow the use of command line
Date   Thu, 15 May 2008 20:49:42 +0200

I find this argument partially persuasive. One of the obvious advantages of
spreadsheet programs is that data manipulation is not as much of a black box
as it is in Stata. Currently working on a large dataset which requires quite
a bit of manipulation, I do know what I am talking about.
For the time being, contend yourself with the wisdom of StataCorp. Having
used Stata for quite some time now, I find that 100% of the time lots of
thought and effort have gone into the minutest details of the software. In
the same vein, there are probably good reasons for the state of affairs with
regard to viewing and manually editing data in Stata. If you want to take a
quick look at your data, try -xmlsave- in conjunction with -winexec <your
favorite spreadsheet editor>-.
Also note that commands like -summarize-, -inspect-, -assert- can help you
evaluate the effects of your editing.

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36