Re[4]: st: creating a variable using -if-? programming needed?

From   Ekaterina Selezneva <[email protected]>
To   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re[4]: st: creating a variable using -if-? programming needed?
Date   Thu, 15 May 2008 19:06:03 +0200

Now it works fine! thanks again!
Eka

> The code looks good. Perhaps the data is not quite as it should be.

> If you want to keep all the data, then you can still segregate the
> spouses.

> In your family of 5, I guess this
>            spouse1   spouse2
> 1             1         .
> 2             .         .
> 3             .         3
> 4             .         .
> 5             .         .

> gen not_spouse = !((spouse1 < .) | (spouse2 < .))
> bysort site family (not_spouse) : gen partner_income = personal[3 - _n]
> if !not_spouse

> There are two states to not_spouse. not_spouse is true (1) if somebody
> is not a spouse and false (0) if somebody is.

> Sorting on -non_spouse- within a  family sorts all the 0s to the first
> observations in each family.

> Your set-up may differ, but something like this should still be
> workable.

> Nick
> [email protected]

> Ekaterina Selezneva

> for me your solution with "[3 - _n]" is the most elegant and most
> easily understood.

> But how to handle the situation if  I have data on all the household
> members, and let's say, I want to keep them all. I have two variables
> identifying a couple within each household: "spouse1" and "spouse2"..
> so, if
> there is a household composed of 5 members, and N1 and N3
> are married, then spouse1=1 and spouse2=3.

> I would do something like

> #delimit;
> bysort  site  censusd family : gen partner_income = personal[spouse1]
> if person==spouse2;
> bysort  site  censusd family :   replace partner_income =
> personal[spouse2] if person==spouse1;

> it works fine if both partners are present in the sample, but if only
> one is in, the partner_income variable is replaced sometimes with the
> individual
> income of the individual and sometimes with the missing value.

> What could be wrong with the code?

> Thursday, May 15, 2008, 4:24:34 PM, you wrote:

>> Using the same assumption of a Noah's ark situation in which everyone
> is
>> paired off, with no dependents, in-laws, etc., there are other minor
>> variations on Scott's theme.

>> bysort site family: gen partner_income = cond(_n == 1, personal[2],
>> personal[1])

>> bysort site family: gen partner_income = personal[3 - _n]

>> I am fond of the second. If it looks puzzling, just go through the two
>> cases. If _n is 1, then 3 - _n is 2, and vice versa.

>> The key underlying principle, if it is not familiar, is that under
> -by:-
>> _n is interpreted within groups, not within the entire dataset. There
> is
>> a leisurely tutorial
>> at

>> <http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0004>

> [...]

Best regards,
 Ekaterina                            mailto:[email protected]