RE: st: platform/OS/ver for max mem?

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: platform/OS/ver for max mem?
Date   Thu, 15 May 2008 17:22:04 +0200

I do not get the part "64bit also means you can go to two processors...". My
Stata 10.0 MP runs on both 32 bit and 64 bit without a hitch...

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36
Room 415
72074 Tuebingen

Fon: 0049-7071-2978184

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Jeph Herrin
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: st: platform/OS/ver for max mem?

I use 64bit stata on xp64 with 16gb of RAM, and am very
pleased with it as an alternative to SAS for processing
large datasets. I have never loaded anything bigger than
about 14gb, but still - not only is it Stata, but it is
much faster than SAS doing the same job. 64bit also means
you can go to two processors, which is faster than one.

A few caveats:
  - recent versions of Stata allow users to write plug-ins;
    but 32-bit plugins won't run on XP64 without recompiling.
  - XP64 is by all accounts more reliable than Vista (also 64bit),
    but some 32-bit applications have trouble running on it.
    My 64bit box sits on the floor doing nothing but Stata,
    so it's not a problem, but if you want to ditch your desktop
    for a 64bit replacement, you find yourself missing some
    of your favorite applications.

Hope this helps,