st: RE: GMM or 2SLS with cluster adjustment or others

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <[email protected]>
To   "Kit Baum" <[email protected]>, "Yu-Luen Ma" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: GMM or 2SLS with cluster adjustment or others
Date   Thu, 15 May 2008 09:11:17 -0400

Kit and Yuluen,

I would not recommend using Arellano-Bond (AB) routinely too. For a small T (number of time periods), AB is fine, whatever is the theoretical model behind.

For moderate or large T, I suggest to truncate the number of lags used in AB (call this estimator TAB) or you can use LDV+FE instead. The bias of the latter decreases on T (see note 1). Also, TAB is almost unbiased, but it is less efficient than AB (see note 2).

In conclusion, I suggest to start with a estimator that agrees your theoretical model as first choice. If there is "no-model" but endogeneity then you can use IV estimators as Kit suggested.

Best regards,
Rodrigo.

Notes:
(1) The early paper on the bias of LDV+FE is Nickell, S. (1981) "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effeects," Econometrica, 49, 1417-1426. For moderate or large T, you have Hahn, J., and Kuersteiner, G. (2002) "Asymptotically Unbiased Inference for a Dynamic Panel Model with Fixed Effects When Both n and T are Large," Econometrica, 70,
1639-1657 and Alvarez, J., and Arellano, M. (2003) "The Time Series and Cross-Section Asymptotics of Dynamic Panel Data," Econometrica, 71, 1121-1159. A more friendly paper is Beck, N., and Katz, J. (2004) "Time-Series-Cross-Section Issues: Dynamics," Working Paper, New York University, probably published in some Political Science journal. A good survey on Panel Danel that deals this material is Arellano, M. (2003) Panel Data Econometrics, New York: Oxford University Press.

(2) A practical issue on AB when T is moderate or large is to truncate the number of lags used as instruments. I found that this practical procedure reduces the finite-sample bias of AB (see pages 7/8 and the appendix A.2 of my WP available at http://www.bcentral.cl/eng/studies/working-papers/pdf/dtbc467.pdf). However, Monte Carlo simulations (not reported) show that the TAB is less efficient than AB, then there is a trade-off between finite-sample bias and efficiency. That could be solved by finding the optimum lag that miminizes the MSE. I am working (in my sparse time = low priority) on that, but it will require a balanced panel.