RE: st: SUM question

From   "Yamamoto, Satomi" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: SUM question
Date   Wed, 14 May 2008 23:31:44 -0500

Hello,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.
I think  egen newvar = rowtotal(var1 var2) is equivalent to replacing missing values with 0(zero).

The SUM function in SPSS adds cases in the variable where at least one observation is valid:

Var 1   Var2
1        4
3        5
4        5
5        8
.        5

When  compute newvar= sum(var1, var2). is used, there will be 1 missing case.
When compute newvar= var1+var2. is used, there are 2 missing cases.

Do you have any ideas? It would be great if I could get help on this.

Sincerely,
Satomi