st: RE: Re: GMM or 2SLS with cluster adjustment or others

From   "Yu-Luen Ma" <>
To   <>, "Rodrigo Alfaro A." <>
Subject   st: RE: Re: GMM or 2SLS with cluster adjustment or others
Date   Wed, 14 May 2008 21:30:43 -0500

Is there a citation that suggests Arellano-Bond is not the best option (e.g. not efficient, etc.) when running a model without a LDV? Thanks.

From: on behalf of Kit Baum
Sent: Wed 5/14/2008 6:11 PM
To: Rodrigo Alfaro A.
Subject: st: Re: GMM or 2SLS with cluster adjustment or others

The point I was trying to make is that the fixed effects estimator
(e.g. xtivreg, fe) is biased in the presence of a LDV, and so
Arellano-Bond should be used in that context. There is nothing to
prevent you from using Arellano-Bond in an equation without a LDV,
but given the complexity of the A-B methodology (and possibility to
generate hundreds of instruments) I would not recommend using it
routinely on a static panel data model. In that context it is
certainly appropriate to use IV-GMM, as is provided by xtivreg2, fe
with the gmm2s option. That is also a GMM estimator which will be
more efficient than standard IV.

Best wishes