st: RE: Genome-wide associations in Stata

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Genome-wide associations in Stata
Date   Fri, 9 May 2008 16:26:07 +0100

I personally haven;t as yet done any microarray analyses in Stata.
However, I have done a lot of analyses in Stata, in genetics and
otherwise, involving mass-production of multiple comparisons (although
not as many as 1,000,000 SNPs at a time, which I understand is becoming
routine with this year's microarray technology). And I wrote the
-smileplot- package (downloadable from SSC) to implement a range of
multiple-test procedures, including the Simes procedure, which controls
the false discovery rate (FDR). My Stata Journal paper on multiple-test
procedures can be downloaded from
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0035

What aspects of this fast-evolving field do you find Stata inadequate
for? And what does R do better?

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson