Re: st: Teach an old dog new tricks

Subject   Re: st: Teach an old dog new tricks
Date   Thu, 8 May 2008 11:55:52 -0400

Sergiy Radyakin <[email protected]>:
Easier in Mata, perhaps, but still easy to put in an ado:
_______________________________________
prog tabmat
version 8.2
syntax varname [fw aw iw], by(varlist min=1 max=2) Matname(string) [replace]
cap conf matrix `matname'
if _rc!=111 & "`replace'"=="" {
 di as err "Matrix `matname' already defined;" _n "specify"  _c
 di as txt " replace " as err "option to overwrite"
 error 110
 }
cap matrix drop `matname'
tokenize `by'
tempvar iv jv
tempname v
egen long `iv'=group(`1')
su `iv', meanonly
loc maxi=r(max)
egen long `jv'=group(`2')
su `jv', meanonly
loc maxj=r(max)
forv j=1/`maxj' {
 su `2' if `jv'==`j', meanonly
 loc col: label (`2') `=r(mean)'
 loc colc: subinstr local col "." "`=char(183)'", all
 loc colnam `"`colnam' "`colc'""'
 }
forv i=1/`maxi' {
 su `1' if `iv'==`i', meanonly
 loc row: label (`1') `=r(mean)'
 loc rowc: subinstr local row "." "`=char(183)'", all
 loc rownam `"`rownam' "`rowc'""'
 forv j=1/`maxj' {
  su `varlist' [`weight'`exp'] if `iv'==`i' & `jv'==`j', meanonly
  if r(N)>0 loc m=r(mean)
  else loc m=.
  mat `v'=nullmat(`v') , `m'
 }