Re: st: Calculate distance between two zip codes

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Calculate distance between two zip codes
Date   Wed, 7 May 2008 20:03:59 +0100 (BST)

--- Todd Wagner <[email protected]> wrote:
> One challenge is getting the latitude/longitude data.  It sounds
> like you have that for zip codes-- I'm assuming you are using
> latitude/longitude for the population centroids for each zip code.
>
> With that in mind, here is SAS code to do the rest.  You should be
> able to convert this to Stata easily enough.  My colleague has done
> a lot of this and the documentation is at
> http://www.herc.research.va.gov/resources/faq_h02.asp.

I do not think it is necesary to write your own code or move between
statisctical packages. There is quite some user written stuff available
that can be freely downloadabed and can immediately be used. You can
find these by typing: -findit distance-, which among others points you
to -globdist-, -sphdist-, and -vincenty-.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081