st: RE: Help with table command

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Help with table command
Date   Wed, 7 May 2008 13:40:37 +0200

-db table- is what you are looking for. There you can specify supercolumn
and superrow variables...

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36
Room 415
72074 Tuebingen

Fon: 0049-7071-2978184

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Sina Grasmann
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:45 PM
Subject: st: Help with table command

Dear Statalisters,

I have two simple questions concerning how to make tables in Stata:
1) I want to make a table with the following setup:

		Informal firm	Formal firm
		Male	Female	Male	Female
myvar1		36.21	40	23.76	...
myvar2                      ...             ...             ...
myvar3                      ...             ...             ...

I have been putting these tables together by calculating each variable
separately with the following command:
by firm_infor fem : sum myvar1
by firm_infor fem : sum myvar2
by firm_infor fem : sum myvar3
and then taking the relevant mean statistic and transfering the values
into Excel. However this takes a long time.

2) How would I do the same table, but for dummy variables (with 0 or 1
as potential responses) in which I do not want the mean, but just the
number of firms that responded 1 to a particular variable. I have been
doing the following:
by firm_infor fem : tab myvar4
by firm_infor fem : tab myvar5
by firm_infor fem : tab myvar6
and then just taking the statistic for those firms that responded 1.
This takes a long time too.

I hope this is clear enough. This is the first time I am posting a
question on Statalist, so please let me know if you need any further

Warm regards,

Sina Joy Grasmann
917 Columbia Road
Washington, D.C. 20001