Re: st: Data management problem

Subject   Re: st: Data management problem
Date   Tue, 6 May 2008 16:29:55 -0400

David W. Harless:
Here is another approach (cut and paste to Command window):

clear
tempfile p1 p2
input beg1   end1   p1
      15522  15674  1
      15887  16617  1
end
ren beg1 date1
ren end1 date2
g id=1
g i=_n
reshape long date, i(i) j(t1)
la def t 1 "begin" 2 "end"
la val t1 t
format date %d
save `p1'
clear
input beg2   end2   p2
      15522  15674  1
      15979  16436  1
      16557  16587  1
end
ren beg2 date1
ren end2 date2
g id=1
g i=_n
reshape long date, i(i) j(t2)
la def t 1 "begin" 2 "end"
la val t2 t
format date %d
save `p2'
joinby id date using `p1', unm(both) update
drop i _m
sort id date
by id: g inp1=(sum(t1==1)>0)-(t1==2)>0
by id: replace inp1=0 if inp1[_n-1]==0&mi(p1)
by id: g inp2=(sum(t2==1)>0)-(t2==2)>0
by id: replace inp2=0 if inp2[_n-1]==0&mi(p2)
bys id (date): g enddate=date[_n+1]
format enddate %d
order id date enddate t1 t2 p1 p2 inp1 inp2
ren date startdate
drop t1 t2 p1 p2
drop if mi(end)
g david=max(inp1,2*inp2)