st: RE: programming with stata

From   "Rajesh Tharyan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: programming with stata
Date   Sun, 4 May 2008 17:11:50 +0100

Hi,

What area do you and the "...Many scholars" work in? maybe it has something
to do with that.

Regards
rajesh

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tunga Kantarci
Sent: 04 May 2008 16:46
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: programming with stata

Hello,

I am trying to make it clear to myself how stata is in programming.
Many scholars I discussed with are hesitant to advise to program an
econometric model in stata.

I was planning to learn programming in oxmetrics, which inherits a clear 'c'
type programming language.

Is there anybody here whom is both proficient in stata as well as in
oxmetrics (or at least gauss)?
How would you compare the two programs?

My understanding is that for non-programming purposes stata is very good:
for data manipulation, ready procedures, graphing etc...
In google you can easily find your way when you type "rename stata" for
instance, if you wonder how to rename variables.
For programming purposes it seems that I should go with another package,
however.

What is your experience? Is stata's programming language as clear as Ox's or
Gauss's?
Why many people learn an additional language of programming next to stata?