Re: st: Option -scale()- with pie charts

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Option -scale()- with pie charts
Date   Sat, 3 May 2008 07:49:08 +0100 (BST)

--- Sergiy Radyakin <> wrote:
> I am trying to make text smaller on my pie-chart, because the legend
> occupies most of the graph. However, both Stata 9 and Stata 10
> (Windows, two different computers) rejected option -scale()- of graph
> pie command.

If you want to change the size of the text in the legend, than
-scale()- should be inside the -legend()- option:

sysuse auto, clear
graph pie, over(rep78) legend(size(*.5))

Having said that, you probably should not use a pie chart at all: A pie
chart encodes information in angles and surface areas, we humans find
decoding that much harder than decoding information from distances, so
a simple bar chart would be preferable.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam