RE: st: File sizes in Stata & SPSS (was Weights )

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: File sizes in Stata & SPSS (was Weights )
Date   Fri, 02 May 2008 10:46:54 -0400

Hello all,

I just want to add some observations about encoding.

When you encode a string variable, the file contains a copy of every distinct value. Consequently, it provides a space advantage usually only if many of the values are repeated. If all or most observations are distinct, then encoding will not gain a space advantage. (But you may have other reasons for encoding.)

But even when encoding is advantageous in terms of space, there is one situation when it can backfire; I had not though of this until it happened to me. I had a large file with a string variable with many distinct values -- though many were often repeated. I encoded it, and gained a significant space savings.

Later, I created a multitude of smaller subsets of this file. Each one had much fewer distinct values of the encoded variable. But each file retained the full encoding table -- more than it needed. (Each file replicated the encoding table.) The result was that each of the small files were much bigger than they really needed to be. (And the total size may have been much more then the original, even if there had been no overlap of observations.) Subsequently, I decoded the variable, and the files shrunk significantly.

I thought this is something to be aware of.
(It makes a potential case for having coding tables in a separate file. But there are plenty of reasons not to have it that way.)

--David

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/