RE: st: eliminating unique values

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: eliminating unique values
Date   Fri, 2 May 2008 11:17:26 +0100

That's what I would recommend. The second method can be implemented

bysort X : drop if _N == 1

so that the extra variable is dispensable.

Eva Poen

008/5/2 Stefano  Costalli <>:

>  I have a variable with about 25.000 observations and many unique
values. I need to drop the unique values, but I can't browse the whole
data set to search for each unique value individually.

I'm not quite I understand. Do you have one variable X in your data,
and within X there are some duplicates, and you want to drop
everything that is unique? In this case you can either use

duplicates tag X, gen(tag)
drop if tag==0

or, equivalently,
bysort X: gen drop = _N