st: Constrained Lowess

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Constrained Lowess
Date   Thu, 1 May 2008 19:01:58 -0400

Dear All,

I am plotting a smoothed graph (-lowess-) of a binary variable (e.g.
unemployed) by categorical (e.g. age). However the smoothed values are
not necessarily in the [0;1] range, where unemployment must be by
definition. I can save the smoothed values into a new variable with
the option -generate(newvar)- and then truncate the negatives and
values larger than one, but I believe smoothing must look differently
if I could tell -lowess- to look for such a constrained value in the
first place. As it follows from the description of -lowess- it doesn't
have such a feature. Is there any user-written command or simple
algorithm for this purpose?

Thank you, Sergiy Radyakin