Re: st: Stata comments

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata comments
Date   Thu, 1 May 2008 21:26:38 +0100 (BST)

Interesting puzzles, and I don't know the answer.

On a practical level though, the comments are meant to be read by
humans, so I would want to make sure that in my code it visually clear
what part is a comment and what not. A habbit like that should avoid
any ambiguities. At least, I cannot remember an instance where I have
been bitten by these things.

-- Maarten

--- Sergiy Radyakin <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>    */;
>    di "test";
> */;
> di "test2";
> // end of file
>
> If we run this code, only "test2" is output, because /* */ comments
> may be "shelled", so that if the comment is opened several times with
> "/*" Stata will require exactly as many "*/" to cancel the comment.
>
> It seems that "//" has priority and cancels "/*" and "*/":
>
> #delimit ;
>  // /*;
>    /*;
>    */;
>    di "test";
>  // */;
> di "test2";
> // end of file
>
> (both "test" and "test2" are written).
>
> However, not always???
> #delimit ;
>  // /*;
>    /*;
>  //  */;
>    di "test";
>  // */;
> di "test2";
> // end of file
>
> (If the above logic is true, than the comment is open in line 3 spans
> until the end of the file)
>
> In general, has anybody done parsing of a Stata .do / .ado file and
> could share a boolean function (in any language), which can answer
> whether a symbol (i,j) in the file is a part of a comment or not? (i
> -
> is the line number, j - position in line). If this is at all
> possible?
>
> Thank you, Sergiy Radyakin
>
> PS: I am working with Stata for Windows 9.2 if the version matters.
>

> On 5/1/08, Maarten buis <[email protected]> wrote:
> > --- Sergiy Radyakin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I have a question regarding the use of comments in Stata
> programs.
> > >
> > > The two possibilities to comment out a line of code are to put a
> "*"
> > > or "//" in the beginning of a line.
> > >
> > > The manual (e.g. online here:
> http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?comments)
> > > says:
> > >
> > > " * indicates that the line is to be ignored."
> > >   and
> > > "// indicates that the rest of the line is to be ignored."
> > >
> > > Both definitions are using the concept of a "line". I would like
> > > double-check, what is really meant by "line" in this context?
> >
> > that is determined by the -#delimit- command, see: -help #delimit-,
> but
> > by default a line ends with a carriage return.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Maarten

> > Maarten L. Buis
> > Department of Social Research Methodology
> > Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
> > Boelelaan 1081
> > 1081 HV Amsterdam
> > The Netherlands
> >
> > visiting address:
> > Buitenveldertselaan 3 (Metropolitan), room Z434

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/

Yahoo! For Good. Give and get cool things for free, reduce waste and help our planet. Plus find hidden Yahoo! treasure

http://green.yahoo.com/uk/earth-day/