Re: st: Deleting Characters of a Var Name by index Number

From   Philipp Rehm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Deleting Characters of a Var Name by index Number
Date   Thu, 01 May 2008 16:11:22 -0400

Do you have something like this in mind?

foreach var of varlist X31 X42 X53{
   rename `var' `=substr("`var'",1,2)'
}

I am slightly confused since I think that your two wishes:

(1) [X and only the second to last character from the *left* of `var'];
(2) X31 would then be renamed X1 and X42 would be X5 and so on;

don't match.

HTH,
Philipp

Kyle Caswell wrote:
Hello.

I would like to write a macro that renames variables by deleting a specific character of a variable name for a group of variables.

For example, suppose that I have variables X31 X42 X53 and so on. I would like to wite a macro that does something like the following:

foreach var of varlist X31 X42 X53{
rename `var' = [X and only the second to last character from the *left* of `var']
}

That is, X31 would then be renamed X1 and X42 would be X5 and so on.

I appreciate any tips!

Best,

Kyle

Kyle