Re: st: Stata comments

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <>
Subject   Re: st: Stata comments
Date   Thu, 1 May 2008 14:27:26 -0500

yet another flavor is triple /// which means, the rest of the line
ignored, and the command is continued on the next line. Helpful with
long lines in do-files, but only works as double // is ignored in
command windows.

On 5/1/08, Sergiy Radyakin <> wrote:
> Hi there,
>  I have a question regarding the use of comments in Stata programs.
>  The two possibilities to comment out a line of code are to put a "*"
>  or "//" in the beginning of a line.
>  The manual (e.g. online here: says:
>  " * indicates that the line is to be ignored."
>   and
>  "// indicates that the rest of the line is to be ignored."
>  Both definitions are using the concept of a "line". I would like to
>  double-check, what is really meant by "line" in this context?
>  Thank you, Sergiy Radyakin

Stas Kolenikov, also found at
Small print: Please do not reply to my Gmail address as I don't check
it regularly.