st: RE: Stata comments

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Stata comments
Date   Thu, 1 May 2008 19:58:51 +0100

I am straining hard to think what subtleties might be hidden in the

But here is my understanding:

A line is whatever is ended by an end-of-line, meaning by default
whatever combination of carriage return and line feed is native to the
operating system, and by extension ; whenever #delimit ; is in

Sergiy Radyakin

I have a question regarding the use of comments in Stata programs.

The two possibilities to comment out a line of code are to put a "*"
or "//" in the beginning of a line.

The manual (e.g. online here:

" * indicates that the line is to be ignored."
"// indicates that the rest of the line is to be ignored."

Both definitions are using the concept of a "line". I would like to
double-check, what is really meant by "line" in this context?