Re: st: Can you get BETA coefficients for XTMIXED models?

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Can you get BETA coefficients for XTMIXED models?
Date   Thu, 1 May 2008 15:10:58 +0100 (BST)

--- James Laurence <> wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to get BETA coefficients when using
> an XTMIXED model/command?
> I've looked in POSTESTIMATION and tried LISTCOEF but none of these
> seem to work.

Sometimes standardized regression coefficients, i.e. the regression
coefficients of a regression of a standerdized dependent variable on
standardized independent variables. With a multilevel model this leads
to a nontrivial question: do you standardize within groups or across
groups. Say you have data on many countries, do you divide the
variables by their national standard deviation, or by the overall
standard deviation? I personaly tend to prefer the overall standard
deviation, but I do see the arguments in favor of standardizing using
national standard deviations.

Notice that standardizing a variable often means also subtracting the
mean. If you subtract the national mean, you in effect do a procedure
called demeaning, which leads to a fixed effects model. So you might
not want to do that.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam