Re st: "No room to add more variables"

From   Svend Juul <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re st: "No room to add more variables"
Date   Thu, 1 May 2008 10:27:29 +0200

Renuka wrote:

When I run any regression, despite it having < 2047
variables or even attempt to create a variable, I get
the following message. I would be grateful if someone
could tell me how I can possibly remedy this.

. ge z50plusa=.
no room to add more variables
    An attempt was made to add a variable that would
have resulted in more than 2048 or 2047 variables
    (Stata reserves one variable for its own use).
You have the following alternatives:

     1.  Drop some variables; see help drop.

     2.  If you are using Stata/SE, increase maxvar;
see help maxvar.
r(900);

To see the number of variables in the data in memory:

   describe , short

Guessing: If you used -xi:- when running the regression
analysis, you created new variables, and that may
explain your problem.

hth
Svend

Svend Juul