Re st: "No room to add more variables"

From   Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re st: "No room to add more variables"
Date   Thu, 1 May 2008 10:27:29 +0200

Renuka wrote:
When I run any regression, despite it having < 2047
variables or even attempt to create a variable, I get
the following message. I would be grateful if someone
could tell me how I can possibly remedy this.
. ge z50plusa=.
no room to add more variables
    An attempt was made to add a variable that would
have resulted in more than 2048 or 2047 variables
    (Stata reserves one variable for its own use).
You have the following alternatives:
     1.  Drop some variables; see help drop.
     2.  If you are using Stata/SE, increase maxvar;
see help maxvar.
To see the number of variables in the data in memory:
   describe , short
Guessing: If you used -xi:- when running the regression
analysis, you created new variables, and that may
explain your problem.
Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark