st: RE: Weights

From   "Mustillo, Sarah A" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Weights
Date   Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:52:42 -0400

Martin -

It sounds like you have probability weights, in which case you may want
to svyset your data.  Some commands will take pweights without
svysetting your data (like -regress- and -mean-), but others won't (like
-tabulate-).  Try -either -mean x [pw=wtvar]- or -svy:mean x- and see if
your estimate is closer to what you were expecting.  Remember that Stata
allows you specify 3 different kinds of weights - analytic weights,
sampling weights, and frequency weights, which is a strength rather than
a weakness.  Some programs treat a probability weight and a frequency
weight as the same.

As for why you got the error message when you tried to use frequency
weights, they do indeed need to be a whole number, as they represent the
number of duplicated observations.

Sarah

Sarah A. Mustillo, Ph.D
Associate Professor of Sociology
Faculty Associate, Center on Aging and the Life Course
Purdue University
700 W. State St.
West Lafayette IN 47907-2059

765-496-2226