st: Factor Analysis and correlation table

From   Maarten buis <>
To   stata list <>
Subject   st: Factor Analysis and correlation table
Date   Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:05:35 +0100 (BST)

--- Timura, Catherine A wrote:
> I am using stata 10 for mac. I want to do a principal component
> analysis over a correlation table (and not have the program do an
> additional correlation over the data).  While the option exists in
> the menu, it does not allow the diagonal to be blank.  Please advise
> on how to allow for the diagonal to remain blank, to avoid having it
> part of the analysis. We are doing cultural consensus analysis over
> hand-drawn agreement tables, as correlations underestimate agreement
> between individuals.

You can fill the diagonal, because you know that a variable is always
perfectly correlated with itself. So the elements on the diagonal of
the correlation matrix are always 1.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam