st: Re: nonlinear constrained estimation and "makecns"

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: nonlinear constrained estimation and "makecns"
Date   Mon, 28 Apr 2008 06:28:18 -0400

First this is not a simultaneous system, as Y1 and Y2 only appear on the LHS. So it is a problem for SUR, not 3SLS, as all variables on the RHS are exogenous in the system you describe.

Second 'makecns' will not do any good for nonlinear constraints. It is appropriate for y = X b + u s.t. R b = r, where you want to make the matrix R and vector r. Nonlinear constraints cannot be handled by this framework.

Third it should be straightforward to do this with the -nlsur- command, as it is specifically designed to handle nonlinear systems of non-simultaneous equations.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html