Re: st: mixed multilevels models with weights

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mixed multilevels models with weights
Date   Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:40:00 -0400

-gllamm- will accommodate weights for multilevel data. But, as Maarten says, the issue is complicated. For example, the weights provided with survey data usually only apply to the lowest level of the data--in your case, the student level. See: http:// www.cpc.unc.edu/restools/data_analysis/ml_sampling_weights . In the middle of the page is a link to a PDF file about this issue. It has list of packages that will handle weights. Austin Nichols (http:// www.statalist.eu/statalist/archive/2007-11/msg00812.html) noted that HLM should have been included.

SPSS is not one of the listed packages. The WEIGHT command in the SPSS MIXED procedure specifies frequency weights, not survey weights. If you use survey weights in the WEIGHT statement, they will add to the population size, and SPSS will think that this is your sample size.

-Steven