Re: st: prb with the over option not working togehther with the graph

From   "P�l R�nning" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: prb with the over option not working togehther with the graph
Date   Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:35:50 +0200

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Svend Juul <[email protected]> wrote:
> P�l R�nning wrote:
>
>  I'm running stata/mp 10, currently with the 0404 update installed. I
>  am unable to use the over option using the graph command. First I was
>  unable to do this on my own data, but trying to run the examples
>  provided online I also end up with error mesages. I keep getting
>  r(111) and that the variable doesnt exist, however using codebook and
>  list afterwards show the entire content of the variables. Does anybody
>  have an idea what is wrong?
>
>  ===========================================================
>
>  Statalist rule number one:
>  Show us exactly what you typed and what Stata responded.
>  You don't even tell us which graph command you used; they
>  don't all take the -over()- option.
>
>  NB! Exactly! Copy-and-paste!
>
>  The rest is guesswork: The last executable update was 3 March.
>  Maybe you forgot to
>
>    update swap
>
>  Svend
>
>  ________________________________________________________

I'm sorry for not being more specific, but it doesnt matter what I do.
I've tried using it on my original dataset using

. graph bar (mean) gcs_mottak, over(mors)
variable mors not found
r(111);

Next I've done both -list gcs_mottak mors, codebook gcs_mottak mors
-confirming that the variables are still there.

. graph bar (mean) gcs_mottak, over(mors)
variable mors not found
r(111);

. codebook mors gcs_mottak

mors
                                        RECODE of mors30

                  type:  numeric (long)
                 label:  janei

                 range:  [0,1]                        units:  1
         unique values:  2                        missing .:  1/2164

            tabulation:  Freq.   Numeric  Label
                           299         0  ja
                          1864         1  nei
                             1         .

gcs_mottak
                                             (unlabeled)

                  type:  numeric (byte)

                 range:  [3,15]                       units:  1
         unique values:  13                       missing .:  1/2164

                  mean:   11.0666
              std. dev:   4.50606

           percentiles:        10%       25%       50%       75%       90%
                                 3         7        14        15        15

Then I've looked through the tutorials and clicked on almost all of them, eg

. gr_example2 grbar0b

-> graph bar (asis) tempjan, over(region)
variable _variables not found
r(111);

However different graph commands work as long as I dont use the -over- option.
The update swap was done, and I get the following

. update swap

    1.  Removing older backups

File C:\Program Files\Stata10\wmpstata.bin was not found, aborting swap.
r(601);

PS I was just browsing your (Svend Juul)  book "stata for health
researchers" for a solution when I got your response. Great book, but
I couldnt find the solution to my problem:-)

Paul