Re: st: Logs and graphics queries

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Logs and graphics queries
Date   Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:45:10 +0100 (BST)

--- "Hoffman, George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Having used stata dos/windows for the past 15+ years, I have set up
> stata to autolog all sessions in text format. My approach to graphics
> logging is still absolutely manual, and often I end up wising that I
> had saved a graph window that I had closed (usually a while back).
> When I do desire to save a graph, I usual clipboard cut-paste to
> powerpoint.
>
> Queries: do any listers have a more convenient way to save graphics
> froma session? Suggestion for graphics application other than PP to
> paste a series of graphs? Is there any way to have stata save a
> combined log of text and graphics, now or in the future?

You can save a graph using the -graph save- command, see -help graph
save-. Having said that, I work a lot with graphs but I almost never
save them. I almost always work from a do file, the only reason for
working interactively is to quickly try stuff out, but any change in
data, analysis, or graph I want to keep is in a do file. As a
consequence I hardly ever save changed data, look in a log, or try to
find a stored graph; it just much easier to re-do the do-file. There
are two benefits of this way of working: often I want to do something
similar to what I have done before, in those cases I can use those
earlier do-files as a template (many of the more elaborate examples I
sent to statalist started life that way). The most important benefit
and timesaver is that this way it becomes much easier to correct
mistakes.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis