Re: st: clustering at 2 levels

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: clustering at 2 levels
Date   Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:47:54 -0400

For some reason I did not receive Vivian's original post, so I am responding to Stas's reply.

1. I agree with Stas that meterological stations are not part of the design. The ordinary procedure is to average the contribution of nearby stations, not to associate a single station with a village.

2. Vivian's -svyset- is incorrect. It should start by specifying the Primary Sampling Unit (PSU):

svyset vilid

I would guess that Stata issued the error message because Vivian has repeated person ID's within village. Vivan doesn't give details about strata, weights, or subsequent stages of sampling, so I am not sure what follows. It sounds like Vivan intends to model some outcome. In that case she should omit the finite population corrections.

-Steve