st: Batch job on stata

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Batch job on stata
Date   Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:01:28 +0100

When Stata is run in batch mode it automatically creates a log file with
the name of the do file being run in the directory from which Stata is run.
Your problem is probably that you do not have write permission for the
directory.  You can check with `ls -l', or attempt to create a file  `touch
myfile'.  Try starting from another directory, your home directory for
example.

For running batch jobs I prefer:

nohup stata -b do mydofile &

nohup tells linux not to stop the process if the terminal window is closed.

Mathew

>Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:23:51 -0400
>From: "WEI-JANG HUANG" <[email protected]>
>Subject: Re: st: batch job on Linux server
>
>Partha,
>
>I tried what you suggested and now it's telling me 'unable to
open.....log'.  Did you need to specify the full path name when issuing
'stata' command?  I'm suspecting >I might be at the wrong place
(directory).

>Weijang
>

>>> Partha Deb <[email protected]> 4/18/2008 10:17 PM >>>
>Commands as you have described work for me.  However, if your mydofile has
an
>extension, e.g., mydofile.do, you'll need to add that to the file
specification

>stata - bb do mydofile.do &
>
>The ampersand at the end will allow you to get back to your prompt (%)
while