st: Relationship of Nelson-Aalen and Kaplan-Meier

From   "Hugh Robinson" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Relationship of Nelson-Aalen and Kaplan-Meier
Date   Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:14:50 -0600

Can anyone tell me how to calculate the variance of a Kaplan-Meier
survival estimate derived from the Nelson-Aalen hazard function?
For instance, Stata provides a Standard Error of 0.08 for a cumulative
NA hazard of 0.22.  The hazard function is easily converted to the
Kaplan-Meier equivalent  as S= exp(-H).  In this case the equivalent
Kaplan-Meier S = exp(-0.22)=0.80.  However I am unclear as how to
calculate the equivalent variance.  According to Cleves et al, Stata
uses the Greenwood method to calculate standard error for Kaplan-Meier
estimates.  A second source suggests that variance should be the same
for both and calculated as the sum of (# of events/# at risk) for each
time step.

Hugh S Robinson Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher
Wildlife Biology Program