st: coding households in survey data

From   Gisella Young <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: coding households in survey data
Date   Mon, 21 Apr 2008 04:21:57 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Statalisters,

I have a simple question. I am working with a household dataset in which the households are not coded as such but are evident from the individual numbers. It is set up as follows:

PERSON    VAR1    VAR2 ...
1
2
3
1
1
2

(I haven't filled in the variables above).

The 'person' data actually refers to the person's household membership ie household one has 3 members, houshold 2 has 1 member, household 3 has 2
members, etc. I would like to create a new variable 'household', in which each household has a unique number as follows:

HOUSEHOLD    PERSON    VAR1    VAR2 ...
1              1
1              2
1              3
2              1
3              1
3              2

(Then if I concatenate 'household' and 'person' each individual will have a uniqe number.)

Any suggestions as to how to create the household variable?

Thank you!

Gisella