st: RE: Hebrew labels

From   "Alexis Furuichi" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Hebrew labels
Date   Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:43:10 -0400

I found a way to show labels in another language in Stata.  I thought it was
something to do with Stata, but it was to do with Windows.  This method
worked for Hebrew and Korean Stata data on Windows XP.  I before posted a
question on Chinese dataset, but I no longer have a dataset in Chinese so I
was unable to test it.  I suspect it may work.

First you need to log in to the computer as an administrator, and then go to
the "Advanced" tab in "regional and language options" from the Control
Panel.  Select the language of your choice from the drop down list in
"Language for non-unicode programs" box.  Then hit apply and restart the
computer.  If you open the data after restarting, you can see the labels in
the language you selected.

For Hebrew (right-to-left language) and Korean (East Asian language) you may
not see the option listed in the drop down list.  Then you need to install
it by clicking the options in "Supplemental language support" box in
Languages tab.  You will need the Windows CD.

Again, this worked for Windows XP and I'm not sure how it would work on
other Windows or Mac.

Alexis

p.s. I couldn't figure out a way to respond to this old thread.  Is it in
FAQ?