st: ODBC data sources in the MAC world

From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <>
Subject   st: ODBC data sources in the MAC world
Date   Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:18:03 -0400

I have a couple of questions about ODBC data sources in the MAC world. One of them is an OS related question, but I am guessing someone here would know the answer. It seems I have talked a couple of Apple users into Stata 10, and while copying from Excel is an easy short-cut for them to move data, I would feel better if I could give them scripts that did the import for them direcly from multiple Excel files. But I know nothing of ODBC on the "dark side."

1) Do the ODBC commands I use in Windows Stata 10 work the same way on a MAC?

2) Under Windows, I need to register my ODBC data sources in order to use them. Are there similar utilities under the MAC OS for registering ODBC sources?

E. Paul Wileyto, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics
Tobacco Use Research Center
School of Medicine, U. of Pennsylvania