Re: st: Ambiguous Abbreviation Error

From   Svend Juul <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Ambiguous Abbreviation Error
Date   Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:59:12 +0200

Christian wrote:

I have a *.do file in which I execute two loops, one
inside the other.

-----Example begins------
forvalues i = 1/3 {
      g h`i' =0 ....
      local n = _N ....
           forvalues j = 1/`n'{
                  replace h`i' = expression if id==`j'
           }
}
-----Example Ends----------

The first time through the inner loop (i = 1), it works
fine. And it is also fine for the first iteration of the
second time through (i =2 j = 1). After that,  I get an
error message: r110 h Ambiguous Abbreviation.

- and Friedrich suggested:

    . set varabbrev off

With the following do-file I can not reproduce Christian's
problem, neither with -varabbrev off- nor -on-, and neither
in Stata 10 nor 9.

      clear
      set obs 10
      gen id=_n

      forvalues i = 1/3 {
         g h`i' =0
         local n = _N
         forvalues j = 1/`n'{
            replace h`i' = id^`i' if id==`j'
         }
      }

Something else must be wrong. Suggestion:

   . set tracedepth 1
   . set trace on

Hope this helps
Svend