st: RE: text width (string length) in stata

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: text width (string length) in stata
Date   Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:19:48 +0100

The answer to your first question I believe to be No.

Mata has the string handling functions you need, however, so recourse to
other
Languages is not the only way forward.

Mingfeng Lin

I guess I'm just trying my luck, but is there a way to let Stata
handle more than 244 characters in a string variable? For example,
there is a field in my dataset called "text" and it accepts free text
data, which often exceeds 255 characters and gets truncated in Stata.
Stata has some nice functions on string variables that would be really
nice to use on this (e.g. counting the number of times a certain
keyword appears).  Or do I really need to go to the scripting
languages for this purpose?