st: RE: identifying a string of consecutive numbers

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: identifying a string of consecutive numbers
Date   Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:32:41 +0100

I don't understand what differentiates A and B from the other three,
but you can concatenate all and then search for patterns.

. egen all = concat(yr?)
. l if strpos(all, "100")

Jon Schwabish

I'm hoping someone can help me with this b/c I'm
totally stumped. I have a wide data set and am trying
to identify observations that have a series of
consecutive zeros following any positive number.

For example, say I have 5 years of data and the
following information for 5 observations:

ObsA  1 1 1 1 0
ObsB  1 1 1 0 0
ObsC  1 1 0 0 1
ObsD  1 0 1 1 1
ObsE  0 0 0 0 1

The variable names are something like yr1, yr2, yr3,
yr4, yr5. I would like to create a variable that
differentiates ObsA and ObsB from the other three.